1 Pool Safety: Prevent Accidental Drownings
Here are some helpful tips and reminders which can prevent accidental drowning:
- Supervision is key! When at the pool, lake, or beach, make sure you know where children are at all times, and DO NOT assume that someone else is watching them.
- Maintain pool gates and fences. Check to make sure that gates lock securely.
- Sign children up for swim lessons. Check out you local YMCA or community center for available classes. Some centers will even offer free lessons.
2 Car Safety: Reminders and Actions that Can Save a Life
- Supervise children playing in or around parked cars; make sure your own parked vehicles are locked and keys are out of reach
- Place an object that you are unlikely to forget in the backseat with the child (a cellphone, house keys, wallet, or purse)
If you see a child locked in a hot car CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY and make attempts to retrieve the child. Watch this video to learn how you can immediately take action to rescue a child in a hot car.
3 Heat Safety: Prevent Heat Exhaustion
- Early symptoms: headache, thirst, and muscle cramps
- Serious symptoms: weakness, skin that is dry and cool to the touch, fast but weak pulse, nausea, and fainting
- Severe symptoms: hot and red dry skin, fast and strong pulse, sweating has stopped, and unconscious
- Never leave kids or pets unattended in cars
- Drink more water than usual and avoid alcohol, sugar, and caffeine
- When outdoors, wear light-colored clothing and a wide-brimmed hat to keep head and body cooler
- Take frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments